If you need to move or copy a QuickBooks company file to a different location – for example, from your local drive to the cloud drive, or from one cloud drive to another cloud drive – it is advisable NOT to simply copy over the .QBW file itself. This is because there are other related files which affect the functionality of your .QBW file.
The recommended method for moving a company file is to create a backup, copy over the backup file, and then restore the backup in the new location. Here are the steps:
- Create a backup from within QuickBooks:
- Choose File > Create Backup
- Choose the local (same) drive as the location to save the backup file
- Choose Complete Verification
- Click Save
- Click Finish
- The result will be a file with the extension .QBB. Copy this .QBB file over to the new location.
NOTE: the restore goes much quicker when you copy the .QBB file to the new location before restoring.
IMPORTANT: When copying files for use in the NovelASPect cloud, normally all QB files need to be copied to, and run from, the Q: drive.
- Restore the backup from within QuickBooks:
- Choose File > Open or Restore Company
- Choose Restore a backup copy (.qbb)
- Choose Local backup, then navigate to your .QBB file and click Open
- Click Save
IMPORTANT: if you are using the QuickBooks Attached Documents feature, these documents are not included in the QuickBooks backup. Therefore you will also need to manually copy over the “Attach” folder which can be found in the same location as your QuickBooks company file.