Because Intuit releases new versions of their software on a yearly basis, we recommend that QuickBooks users upgrade to the latest version at least every 2-3 years. To make the transition as smooth as possible, here are the correct steps to follow:
- Open your file in your current version of QuickBooks as the Admin user in single-user mode.
- Go to File Menu -> Utilities -> Verify. If no problems have been detected with the file, then you can close QuickBooks. If problems are detected, run the rebuild utility and re-verify your file. When no problems have been detected, proceed to the next step.
- Open the new version of QuickBooks. Exit out of any initial splash screens to start a new company file.
- Go to File -> Open or Restore a Company File. Click next to open a company file.
- Locate your company file in our Q:drive and open the file. *Note: Open the file in single-user mode
- Accept the warning that you are upgrading your file, and click Update Now.
- Sign in using your username and password for QuickBooks
- After the upgrade is complete, you will be taken to your QB file. Note that the file can no longer be opened in your old version of QuickBooks.
- Repeat the verify process (File Menu -> Utilities -> Verify) to make sure there are no problems detected with your new file version.