Firstly, here's a video showing how to locate your .TLG file: How to locate the TLG File
When you have located the .TLG file, check your .TLG file size. It should never be greater than 15% of the size of your company file, and ideally should be less than 10% of the company file size.
To rebuild, please follow the attached instruction by Intuit for creating and restoring a portable backup file.
To do this task
1. Click [FILE], [BACKUP COMPANY], [CREATE LOCAL BACKUP]
2. Select [LOCAL BACKUP] then choose [OPTIONS]
3. Confirm that "Complete verification (recommended) is selected and select BROWSE
4. Browse to your Q: drive and select OK
5. Select OK on following screen.
6. Select FINISH on following screen:
7. A Warning may appear indicating you are saving the Company FIle to a remote computer, choose OK or Use This Location
CREATE / RESTORE PORTABLE COPY
1. Log into your QuickBooks company file
2. Select File / Switch to Single User Mode
3. Select File / Create Copy
4. Select Portable Company File
5. Click Next
6. Navigate to your Q: drive to save the file. Create new folder called PortableBU (or something similar) and save Portable copy to PortableBU folder
7. QuickBooks will display a message when the Portable has been completed
8. Select File / Close company
9. In File Explorer navigate to your existing QuickBooks company files (usually Q: drive):
10. Highlight all files beginning with your QuickBooks company filename. In this example the above four files beginning with sample_product-based business will be highlighted. Please Note that only the QuickBooks Company File (.qbw), the Data Source Name (.dsn), the ndFile and .tlgFile should be selected. Any other file extension should not be included in the highlighted files.
11. Once all files are highlighted Right click on highlighted area and select Cut.
12. Navigate and Open the folder where you created the PortableBU. Right click in the PortableBU folder/window and select Paste.
13. In QuickBooks select Open or Restore an Existing company file.
14. Select Restore a Portable file and click Next
15. Highlight the portable that was just created and click Open (or double-click on portable file)
16. Click Next
17. Navigate to your Q: drive or the folder where your original file was located and click Save
Your Restored Portable will now be where your original company file was located.
For more information, you can review the Intuit .tlg file article to understand its use, value and importance, and proceed to the instructions below to reduce .tlg file size.
See also these related KB articles: