What is a disconnected session?
Sometimes called a "hung" session, this refers to a connection to an application that remains running on the server even though it has ended on your computer. This can prevent you from being able to launch that application again until that session is fully ended.
Do I have a disconnected session?
The main symptom for you will be the inability to launch an application. Your experience may include:
- “I just see the spinny thing” (the spinning wheel under the icon) *
- “When I click on the icon nothing happens”
- “I KEEP clicking on the icon and nothing happens”
- “I just see a plain black window”
- “I got kicked off and now cannot get back on”
* NOTE: these symptoms, especially the first one above, can also indicate an issue with your browser not allowing plugins. Please click here for how to fix that.
What can I do about it?
You can easily end your own user session in Citrix and fix the issue:
1. Locate the Windows System notification tray in the lower right corner of your Windows desktop and find your Citrix Receiver icon (black squire or circle):
Hovering over the icons without clicking will tell you what the icon is.
2. Right click on the Citrix Receiver icon and click "Connection Center" (or "About", when the next window pops up, go to "Advanced" -> "Connection Center").
3. In the Connection Center, you'll see all active sessions. You'll see the server you're connected to (in this example MHCXC1-THIRTEEN), as well as a list of applications that are currently running. Highlight the server and click Log Off.
When finished, your Connection Center window should look like this:
Go ahead and close this window, and relaunch you applications.
If you are still running into problems after completing the steps above or feel uncomfortable doing this yourself, please feel free to contact our 24/7 tech support team for assistance.
By phone: +1 415-813-3268
On the web: submit a ticket
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org